How can positive affirmations help me create a positive self-image?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

An affirmation is a statement of fact that can make an imprint on the subconscious mind to create a healthy, positive self-image. In addition, affirmations can actually fuel the changes you desire. Here are some guidelines for creating your own affirmations:

• Always phrase an affirmation in the present tense.
  • Always phrase an affirmation in a positive way and stay tuned to the positive feelings that are generated.
  • Keep the affirmation short and simple but full of feeling.
  • Be creative.
  • Imagine yourself really experiencing what you are affirming.
  • Make the affirmation personal and full of meaning.

Here are some examples of positive affirmations:

• I am a whole and complete person.
  • I am in control of my life.
  • I am an open channel of love and joy.
  • I am filled with peace and wisdom.
  • I am good to my body
  • I am growing stronger every day.
  • I am healthier and thinner.

Using the above guidelines and examples, write down five affirmations regarding eating healthful meals and five affirmations about doing physical activity. State these affirmations aloud for a total of five minutes each day. Choose a location that is comfortable and quiet and a time when you will not be interrupted or disturbed. Sit or lie in a comfortable position. Begin by taking ten deep breaths, inhaling to a count of one, holding for a count of two, and exhaling to a count of four.

Hunger Free Forever: The New Science of Appetite Control

From two leading authorities on appetite control, obesity, natural medicine, and food comes a breakthrough in getting healthy and staying slim without starving.Millions have spent years searching for...

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What is narcissism?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Researchers define narcissism as “self-centered, arrogant, and entitled.” It’s not just attentio...
Why is perfectionism a problem for nice girls?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
The two main problems with perfectionism are that it feels so darned satisfying and that it’s highly...
Why Does Death Scare Us?
Why Does Death Scare Us?