How can I achieve true tolerance?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Merely tolerating another person is a distortion of true tolerance.True tolerance comes about when you no longer have to defend yourown point of view. You can honor someone else's while yet notadopting it. To reach such a position means you have discardedjudgment, which insists that one viewpoint must be right andanother wrong.

You must also discard attachment, which says that my opinion mustbe valued first and foremost. With these two steps, the basis fordefending your point of view disappears. At the soul level you havealready taken both steps, because your true self has experiencedevery point of view. It sees them as equal products of the isolated"I," and therefore subject to constant change. There is no reasonto defend the shifting sands of ego and personality as if it wassolid ground.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How does self-talk help develop a positive mental attitude?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
If you think positively, positive things generally happen and what follows is that you feel positive...
Where do negative emotions get there power?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Negative emotions feed off certain aspects of the shadow -- a hidden place where we all repress thin...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?