How does perfectionism affect self-esteem?

Alice Domar
Perfectionistic thinking can erode self-esteem because perfectionists tend to engage in all-or-nothing thinking when they evaluate their performance. If a perfectionist fails at a task -- say, she gets a low grade on a test -- she tends to enlarge that feeling of failure to include not just the test, but herself, too. Perfectionists quickly jump from the idea of “I failed at this task” to “I am a failure.” When there are a few things out of place on the kitchen counter, they move very quickly from “my counter is a mess” to “my entire kitchen is a mess” to “my entire house is a mess” to “I am a mess.”
Be Happy Without Being Perfect: How to Worry Less and Enjoy Life More

Do you have trouble going to bed at night when there’s a mess in the kitchen? Do you think you would be happier if only you could lose weight, be a better parent, work smarter, reduce stress,...

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Is suffering individual or mutual?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Everyone suffers. In times of war or calamity or natural disasters, everyone suffers together. Yet n...
Should I start speaking up for myself at my workplace?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
I’m not saying that speaking up is always the best option. The idea is to have a range of choices an...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?