How does anger relate to fear?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Anger can be a primary emotion, but in the world of fear it is a secondary defense. People become enraged when they are unable to overcome their feelings of helplessness. Lashing out serves two purposes. First, it makes you feel that you are in control again and without control some people would be in complete panic. Second, it directs emotions outward, giving a visible external enemy to attack.

You have to become aware of your primary emotion before you can release it. If you know your primary emotion is helplessness -- in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, this was easy to admit -- anger can be managed and seen for what it is, a defense. If you refuse to accept that you could ever lose control and become helpless, anger justifies itself as the "right" response. From there it is a short journey to intolerance and violence.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How can increased awareness help me change my behavior?
Darren Treasure, PhDDarren Treasure, PhD
People who have been largely sedentary and unhealthy don’t all of a sudden wake-up one morning and i...
Do I have to join the clash of egos?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
At the ego level there must be conflict, because "I" knows itselfby clashing against another "I." Th...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?