Does my fear help me?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Like the shadow self, your fear doesn't see itself as harming you.It, too, believes that it is a safeguard. Stored in everyone'smemory are past experiences of terror. By reminding you of thosefeelings, fear is trying to protect you from repeating the traumasof the past. As long as you push down your fear, you will not beable to receive it as an ally.

But by the same token you can't just act on the basis of fear. Atthe soul level you see no need for fear, because you don't needprotecting. Living in the now poses no threat, and referring to thepast therefore serves no purpose. It is safe to go into your fearand ask it where it came from and what it wants you to know. Havingseen the world from its perspective, reassure yourself that thesoul needs no guardian. Learn from fear, heal it, and ask it toleave.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How can I set priorities if I am a perfectionist?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
If you are a perfectionist, setting priorities can be challenging because you can get stuck in the m...
Are self-compassionate people more compassionate toward others?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
Researchers investigated whether self-compassionate people were more compassionate toward others. As...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?