How do I care for someone with a personality disorder?

If someone you care for has a personality disorder, it is possible they do not realize it. You may not be able to convince them to seek help, but it may help to openly and honestly discuss your concerns with them. If they at any point attempt or succeed at harming you or themselves, seek emergency help immediately. If their disorder is severe, you may be required to make decisions for them until they are well enough to do so on their own. Treatment for these disorders is a team effort. In addition to health care professionals, this team includes family and friends, so you may be an active participant in helping them cope with this disorder.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

What is a psychopath?
Joni JohnstonJoni Johnston
"Psychopath" is the term used to describe a person who has certain personality traits associated wit...
What is alexithymia?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Alexithymia literally means a lack of words for feelings. Alexithymia is not a disorder, but is ...
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?