Are personality disorders serious?

Yes, personality disorders can be serious. If allowed to go untreated, symptoms can be disruptive to your life and can worsen. Sometimes, people with these disorders harm, make plans to harm, or attempt to harm themselves. Additionally, symptoms may include drug and alcohol abuse, which is harmful even without the added complication of a personality disorder. Treatment may involve medication, hospitalization, or psychotherapy that may last anywhere from months to years in order to modify the disorder.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

How do I care for someone with a personality disorder?
If someone you care for has a personality disorder, it is possible they do not realize it. You may n...
What causes personality disorders?
The causes for personality disorders are believed to be genes and circumstances in one's environment...
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?