What can I do if my gums have receded and my teeth are sensitive?

First of all, gum recession can be caused by many different reasons and tooth sensitivity can be very common afterwards. It can be caused by bad bite with occlusal traumas, or it can be because of gum disease, or it can be simply caused by toothbrush abrasions. Whatever the reason is, the treatment modalities will be completely different. The best advice I can give is to see your dentist and get that checked out first and the treatment can be done according to what you need.

The first thing you should do is see your dentist to see if the gum recession is the cause of your sensitive teeth. If gum recession is the cause, toothpaste like Sensodyne can be helpful. Your dentist can also use strong desensitizers at the office or gum can be grafted to help cover the sensitive teeth.
In addition to brushing gently with a soft-bristle brush, you should consider a low-abrasion toothpaste that helps your teeth become less sensitive to brushing. Your dentist may also recommend a fluoride rinse or gel to help your teeth become less sensitive and protect them from decay.
When gums recede, the roots of the teeth become exposed. The roots are not covered with enamel. The enamel of the teeth helps insulate the tooth from hot and cold. Sensitive teeth can be treated with toothpastes for sensitive teeth, fluorides, and topical applications of fluorides and desensitizing agents. See your dentist for treatments for sensitive teeth. 

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How is periodontal disease (gum disease) treated?
Gum disease in diabetics should be aggressively treated because of the risk of early tooth loss. Bru...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile