What can I do if my gums have receded and my teeth are sensitive?

When gums recede, the roots of the teeth become exposed. The roots are not covered with enamel. The enamel of the teeth helps insulate the tooth from hot and cold. Sensitive teeth can be treated with toothpastes for sensitive teeth, fluorides, and topical applications of fluorides and desensitizing agents. See your dentist for treatments for sensitive teeth. 
The first thing you should do is see your dentist to see if the gum recession is the cause of your sensitive teeth. If gum recession is the cause, toothpaste like Sensodyne can be helpful. Your dentist can also use strong desensitizers at the office or gum can be grafted to help cover the sensitive teeth.

First of all, gum recession can be caused by many different reasons and tooth sensitivity can be very common afterwards. It can be caused by bad bite with occlusal traumas, or it can be because of gum disease, or it can be simply caused by toothbrush abrasions. Whatever the reason is, the treatment modalities will be completely different. The best advice I can give is to see your dentist and get that checked out first and the treatment can be done according to what you need.

RealAge
Administration
In addition to brushing gently with a soft-bristle brush, you should consider a low-abrasion toothpaste that helps your teeth become less sensitive to brushing. Your dentist may also recommend a fluoride rinse or gel to help your teeth become less sensitive and protect them from decay.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

Periodontitis

If you leave gingivitis untreated, it may spread to the ligaments and bones below the gums, becoming periodontitis. The bacterial inflammation causes teeth to lose support. Eventually the teeth will become loose and fall out. Some...

times the infection becomes so severe that it can cause a tooth abscess. This can be quite painful. Antibiotics can help, and treatment for the general condition includes cleaning and improved oral hygiene.