How does circumcision affect penis disorders?

Many penis disorders are much more common among men and boys who have not been circumcised. Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin, and it's often done soon after a baby boy is born. If the foreskin is left intact, there may be increased risk for certain penis disorders including penile cancer and inflammatory conditions like balanitis and phimosis. Uncircumcised men are also at a higher risk for sexually transmitted diseases. However, the risks and benefits of circumcision are highly debated, so it's generally up to individual families (and their cultural and religious beliefs) to decide whether they want their child to be circumcised as a baby.

Continue Learning about Penis Disorders

Can I get my partner pregnant if I have a penis disorder?
The ability to get a woman pregnant depends on what specific penis disorder you have. In some cases,...
How do other illnesses affect penis disorders?
Some illnesses may actually cause penis disorders. Chronic illnesses that affect blood pressure, suc...
Can penis disorders be prevented?
There are some ways you may be able to prevent penis disorders, or at least reduce your risk for man...
Are penis disorders contagious?
Most penis disorders aren't contagious, but some that are caused by infections or sexually transmitt...