How does circumcision affect penis disorders?

Many penis disorders are much more common among men and boys who have not been circumcised. Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin, and it's often done soon after a baby boy is born. If the foreskin is left intact, there may be increased risk for certain penis disorders including penile cancer and inflammatory conditions like balanitis and phimosis. Uncircumcised men are also at a higher risk for sexually transmitted diseases. However, the risks and benefits of circumcision are highly debated, so it's generally up to individual families (and their cultural and religious beliefs) to decide whether they want their child to be circumcised as a baby.

Continue Learning about Penis Disorders

What are the complications of an erection lasting more than four hours?
An erection that lasts more than four to six hours is known as priapism. This can be very painful an...
Should I talk to my doctor about my penis disorders symptoms?
If you have any symptoms that you think may be caused by a penis disorder, you should talk to your d...
What are the possible complications of penis disorders?
In many cases, penis disorders won't cause any complications if they're treated early. However, if t...
Are penis disorders serious?
Penis disorders may be serious, depending the specific disorder. In most cases penis disorders are p...