What are the possible complications of pelvic inflammatory disease?

IIf it's caught and treated early, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) generally doesn't cause any complications. However, if left untreated, it may cause serious complications. The infection may cause scarring in the fallopian tubes, which can lead to infertility. In fact, a 100,000 women who get PID will become infertile each year. Scar tissue may also increase the chances of ectopic pregnancy, which is a serious condition in which the fertilized egg can't travel into the uterus and becomes stuck in the fallopian tubes. In some cases, PID may lead to chronic pelvic pain that can last for years. To prevent these potential complications, talk to your doctor right away if you notice any symptoms that may be caused by PID.

Continue Learning about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)

How do IUDs affect pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?
It's a common misconception that the use of an intrauterine device (IUD) increases the risk of devel...
Can pelvic inflammatory disease affect my sex life?
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) may affect your sex life for several reasons. Sometimes PID may ca...
How does pelvic inflammatory disease affect the body?
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) starts when bacteria enter the female reproductive organs, usually...
Can I get pelvic inflammatory disease again even if I've already had it?
Having pelvic inflammatory disease once doesn't protect you from getting infected again. In fact, yo...