Are there resources for limited income patients with no coverage?

The Together Rx Access Card was created to help people who do not have prescription drug coverage. You can use the card to save on certain brand-name prescription drugs, some generic drugs, and other prescription products. The Together Rx Access Card is not part of Medicare or Medicare Part D. It is not medical insurance, but a special discount card that costs you nothing.
To get a card, all of the following must be true for you:
  • You are not eligible for Medicare
  • You have no prescription drug coverage (public or private)
  • Your household income is equal to or less than $45,000 for a single person, $60,000 for a family of 2, $75,000 for a family of 3, $90,000 for a family of 4, and $105,000 for a family of 5 (income limits may be higher in Alaska and Hawaii)
  • You are a legal United States resident
The Web site and telephone assistance are in English and Spanish.
Together Rx Access Card
Web site: www.together-rxaccess.com
Toll-free number: 1-800-444-4106 Other drug discount cards
There are several other companies and foundations that offer drug discount cards. The cards offer the user discounts on certain brand name prescription drugs. Some offer discounts on a few generic drugs as well. There are different limits and requirements on who can get a card. The cards also discount different drugs. Contact the Partnership for Prescription Assistance or NeedyMeds to find other drug discount cards. One or more of them may be helpful to you, depending on which prescription drugs you take.

These cards are not insurance, and they are not part of Medicare Part D. They offer limited discounts on certain drugs, which can help some people.
Choosing a drug discount card
Look at all the costs of the card. Some cards say they are free, but charge prescription shipping and handling fees that can cost you more than the discount. Some discount cards have yearly fees up to $100 or more. And some companies that say they offer free drugs actually charge a processing fee for each prescription. These costs can add up quickly. Find out about shipping fees, annual fees, and processing fees before you sign up for a card. If you're trying to save money, it's probably best not to get a card that wants money from you.

If you find a free card, compare the cost of the medicines that you actually take. Find out if the medicines you take are discounted. If you have more than one card, your pharmacist can often tell you the cheapest way to get your medicine. 

Continue Learning about Paying For Health Care When You're Uninsured

Where can a person get help if they have no health insurance?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Depending on the age of the patient, there may be alternatives to a fully-insured health insurance p...
How can I have a doctor if I don't have insurance?
Even if you're one of 50 million Americans without health insurance, it's important to have a doctor...
Is there a way to get dentures with no dental insurance?
The short answer to the question of dentures with no dental insurance is: maybe. The longer answer i...
What if I need cancer treatment but I don't have health insurance?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
A cancer diagnosis can cause financial concerns. If you don’t have health insurance, the following w...