What supplements should I avoid when taking blood thinners?

If you are taking a blood thinner or other heart medications, you should take vitamin E only after discussing it with your doctor, because vitamin E acts as a blood thinner and can adversely affect the overall effects of your medications. In some studies, vitamin E adversely affected some patients with a history of heart problems, while others showed the reverse -- that vitamin E actually has a protective effect on the heart.

The recommended daily allowance for vitamin E is 15 - 30 mg. I believe that people without a history of heart problems, and who are not taking a statin or blood-thinning medication, may consider taking 400 IU of vitamin E per day, with a recommendation from their doctor.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Patient Education