What should I discuss with my doctor when I'm prescribed medication?

Be an informed patient when you are prescribed medication. Ask your doctors (1) what your problem is, and (2) why you are taking the drug he or she prescribes. Then, (3) be sure to tell your doctors what you are already taking, even if they're just simple things like aspirin, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and supplements. Many patients forget to mention these, believing that because these substances are available to everyone, they must be harmless. This is not true. Also, don't forget to mention recent vaccinations you've had and antibiotics you've taken.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
Cutting Through the NSAID Confusion
News about the FDA warning that NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can be heart risky has made lots of you worried about taking those pain-...
What are the pros and cons of prescription drugs?
The benefits of prescription drugs always need to be balanced with the risks of the side effects...
Who is a likely candidate for statins?
Jonathan A. Fialkow, MDJonathan A. Fialkow, MD
According to the US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), doctors may choose to offer a low-to-mo...
How Will Sharecare Educate Me About My Health?