What should I discuss with my doctor when I'm prescribed medication?

Be an informed patient when you are prescribed medication. Ask your doctors (1) what your problem is, and (2) why you are taking the drug he or she prescribes. Then, (3) be sure to tell your doctors what you are already taking, even if they're just simple things like aspirin, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and supplements. Many patients forget to mention these, believing that because these substances are available to everyone, they must be harmless. This is not true. Also, don't forget to mention recent vaccinations you've had and antibiotics you've taken.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

News: FDA Warns Online Drug Buyers About Fake Letter Scam
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers about fraudulent letters sent to people who have purchased medicines online or over t...
What effects do statins have on the aging process?
Mark C. Houston, MDMark C. Houston, MD
Statins are used to treat high cholesterol and reduce heart disease and stroke. They also have e...
How should I choose a cough syrup?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Pick an over-the-counter cough syrup with DM from your pharmacy, and keep it in your medicine ca...
Is It Okay to Use the Internet to Self-Diagnose?