How can I identify a pill that isn't in its original bottle or package?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

There are multiple reliable websites available to help you identify stray pills that may not be in their original bottle or container, whether they are over-the-counter or prescription pills.

Just search online for "pill identifier" to pull up multiple sites. All you need to do is to enter the color(s), shape, and any letters or numbers that you see printed or imbedded on the pill. The site then shows you any matches, including a picture that you can compare with the pill you are holding -- voila!

So, if you tossed a bunch of different medications into one container for your last trip and now need to sort them out, or simply have found a stray pill, here is a beautiful use of the information highway.

Continue Learning about Patient Education

What You Should Know About EpiPen Alternatives
When The School for Scandal was first performed in London in 1777, the main character, Lady Sneerwell, was a comic sensation. These days, when we get ...
Should I take a generic drug?
Here's what I advise if you're thinking about taking a generic drug:When possible, choose a generi...
Why should I rethink taking quinine sulfate for my nighttime leg cramps?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Unfortunately, the prescription drug quinine sulfate, which has been used off-label for decades ...
Is Sharecare Like a Medical Reference Book?