What are lumbar stabilizers?

Lumbar stabilizers are the muscles in the low back that help maintain the spine’s curvature. These muscles do not really shorten or lengthen the spine. Rather, they hold the spine in place. An example of a lumbar stabilizer is the quadratus lumborum muscle.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Tampa Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Parts of the Muscular System

What are the two main parts of skeletal muscle fibers?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
At the microscopic level, the muscle fibers that attach to your bones have two main parts: thick fil...
What is a deltoid muscle?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The deltoid muscle is the shoulder muscle originating from the clavicle (collar bone) and scapula (s...
What Causes Muscle Spasms?
What Causes Muscle Spasms?
How Can I Treat a Muscle Strain?
How Can I Treat a Muscle Strain?