Why do parents fight about how to raise children?

Harry Harrison Jr.
Healthcare
What do parents fight more about than sex or money? Ask any parent: It’s how to raise their children. The dilemma is that while both parents love their children, while they may even have agreed beforehand how to raise their children, while they may have read every parenting book ever published since 1950, nobody really knows what kind of parent they’re going to be until they are actually confronted with a smiling, gurgling baby. Or a thirteen year old daughter who is demanding a $1700 Burberry purse. Or a fifteen year old son who at 2 a.m. is standing intoxicated at the front door. With a policeman.

Then all agreements are off the table. The couple suddenly sees each other as they really are:

The father is no longer the gentle caring new age male she fell in love with, but a caveman who believes his kids are sucking him dry and would toss them to the wolves at the first opportunity.

And the mother is no longer the sexy thing he married, but a delusional, gullible, mother hen who believes her poor 18 year baby can do wrong, even if he’s in handcuffs.

Not surprisingly, disagreements about how to raise kids is one of the leading causes of stress in a marriage and leads to a number of divorces. But it doesn’t have to be.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Your Parenting Style Is Important
Your Parenting Style Is Important
Iman Shumpert, the Cleveland Cavaliers interestingly-coifed forward, has his own playing style. And he uses it to help create a smooth-working offense...
How can I nurture empathy in my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Kids who are empathic can understand where other people are coming from because they can put the...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
As a Parent, What Should I Stock in My Medicine Cabinet for My Kids?