Why should I read to my child?

Besides serving as wonderful one-on-one time, reading to your child will do amazing things for her future vocabulary. In fact, the vocab that a child has at the age of two is proportional to the number of words he's heard spoken to him before that time. Kids might not be able to respond verbally to you when they're little, but they're processing. Remember those neurons: With every sentence, you're building stronger language connections.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...
Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Children who have been read to have an easier time learning to read when they start school. When you read to them, you teach them: New words, such as the names of people, animals, and things

Words they will use when they learn to talk

About the world they live in

How to watch and listen

That reading and sharing stories is a fun way to be with others Reading and sharing stories can also be a way to calm children.

School doesn’t always fulfill all the needs of a child’s early education process. Parents can supplement their children’s education and give those not yet in school a head start by reading with them before bed. It’s never too early to begin the process of educating children, and reading to your kids does wonders for their natural brain development process -- getting them on the fast track to succeeding in the classroom and in life.

There are numerous benefits for both children and parents when it comes to reading bedtime stories. Here are just a few:
  • Reading gives you an opportunity to bond with your children.
  • Reading is a natural way to stay calm and relax.
  • Reading improves focus.
  • Reading increases intelligence.
  • Reading is a fun activity.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Safe Weight Loss for Teens—How to Help Kids Lose Pounds and Inches
Q: My daughter is 13 and weighs 238 pounds. She started packing on the pounds at age 9. I am at a loss as to how to help her. -- Beverly via e-mail A...
What should I do if my child chooses bad friends?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
If you're worried about the kids your child is hanging around, you'd not alone. "Bad friends" is a c...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Viewers in Dr. Oz’s Social Experiment Explain Their Reactions