Why is it important to allow my children to make choices?

Lynne Kenney
Choices are one of your child’s first introductions to responsibility. While choices appear to be about freedom, they are also about decision making, taking responsibility and committing to action. Choices can decrease control struggles, foster mastery and give you the freedom and time to make a change in your parenting approach as needed. Offering your children choices regarding what skills and actions they will use and how also helps them to use their problem-solving and decision-making skills. It is important in a family to allow children to make choices; this is a central part of helping them become masterful.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Find the Best Pediatric ER Near You
First off, ask your pediatrician, of course. But do some detective work, too. Start by calling or stopping by the hospital to speak with the director ...
Is it okay to let my child eat in front of the TV?
Don’t eat in front of the TV. It’s bad for everyone because it’s so easy to zone out in front of the...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Why Is It Important to Have a Positive Body Image?