Is it normal for a toddler to smear poop?

It’s not necessarily common, but it is normal. Toddlers are struggling with attempting to master their own body, to control its functions, and are quite curious about the their productions. (They don’t call it the anal stage for nothin’!) Preschool teachers will tell you it’s common to see children this age quite interested in messes, too. They can alternate between being quite the obsessive neat freak, OR the poop-smearing opposite -- as they struggle to master this stage. I would say, however, that poop-smearing past the age of 3 1/2 - 4 would concern me. An evaluation, starting with your pediatrician, should occur in that case.

Continue Learning about Parenting a Toddler

How should I react when my child is playing?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
Kids, through their innocence, bring so much to their play experiences. Sometimes their actions ...
Do I need locks for my toilet bowl lids if I have a toddler?
Since a small child can drown in only a few inches of water, install locks on your toilet bowl lids,...
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
5 Ways to End Kids' Temper Tantrums
What Are the Best Methods for Disciplining a Toddler?