Scabies, caused by Sarcoptes scabiei, an itch mite, is contagious but can be cured. The medication for scabies may last for about two weeks. However, you might continue to experience severe itching (the main symptom of scabies) for about two to four weeks after the cure.
- Q How do other illnesses affect scabies?
- Q What do I need to know about caring for someone with scabies?
- Q What is scabies?
- Q Is swimmer's itch a type of parasitic skin infection?
- Q Is there a cure for scabies?
- Q What are the treatment options for parasitic skin infections?