How do helminthic parasites reproduce?

Helminthic parasites, also known as "worms" and nematodes, are complex, multi-cellular organisms with internal organs. They cannot reproduce inside a host organism. Rather, these organisms tend to have a life cycle in which the adult nematode lives inside the host intestine, producing eggs, which are then shed with the host's feces. The eggs typically become infective or hatch into larvae while in the soil. In areas where water and sewage treatment and sanitation are insufficient, the infective eggs are ingested by a new host via contaminated water. The eggs hatch and the immature organisms continue to adulthood by varying additional steps in the life cycle. Alternatively, larvae may gain entry into the host through the external skin or a mucous membrane and continue with the life cycle.

Continue Learning about Parasitic Infections

What You Need to Know About Ticks
What You Need to Know About Ticks
The thought of a tick on your body or in your home probably makes you shudder, but if you spend time outdoors, you need to know what to do should you ...
What are the henipaviruses?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The henipaviruses – Hendra Virus (HeV) and Nipah Virus (NiV) – emerged during the 1990s in Australia...
Are parasitic infections serious?
Parasitic infections are serious conditions that can have devastating effects on the body. Parasites...
What Can Increase My Risk for Parasitic Infections?