How can I know if I have panic disorder?

Deborah Davis
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A panic attack is a sudden surge of overwhelming anxiety and fear.  You heart pounds and you can't breathe.  You feel dizzy and sick to your stomach.  You may even feel like you are dying or going crazy.  Left untreated, panic attacks can lead to panic disorder and other problems.  They may even cause you to withdraw from normal activities.  But panic is treatable - and the sooner you seek help, the better.  With treatment, you can reduce or eliminate the symptoms of panic and regain control of your life.

Continue Learning about Panic Disorder

Are panic attacks mental or physical?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Panic attacks are a mental health problem, but that doesn't mean they aren't real, or that they're n...
Is panic disorder associated with medical conditions?
Robert J. Hedaya, MDRobert J. Hedaya, MD
Patients with panic disorder have a higher likelihood of having mitral valve prolapse (MVP). MVP is ...
What do I need to know to care for someone with panic disorder?
Caring for someone with panic disorder requires thoughtfulness and great support. Make sure that the...
What Happens During a Panic Attack?
What Happens During a Panic Attack?