What are the symptoms of secondary dysmenorrhea?

Symptoms of secondary dysmenorrhea include pulsating abdominal pain, cramps, lower back and leg pain, distended abdomen, and stool change. The symptoms can be caused by excess hormone production; pressure built up from inflammation or constricted blood flow, and aggravated tissue around reproductive organs. The extra chemicals released during your body's preparation for menstruation can also cause distention or swelling of the abdomen. You may also notice a change in your stool when experiencing secondary dysmenorrhea. Some women have constipation, while others have looser stools or diarrhea.

Continue Learning about Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)

What is the rate of incidence for secondary dysmenorrhea?
Dysmenorrhea affects over half of all women who menstruate. The rate of incidence for secondary dysm...
How do I manage my dysmenorrhea on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Managing primary dysmenorrhea on a daily basis requires exercising, plenty of sleep, pain management...
Is there a cure for primary dysmenorrhea?
There is no cure for primary dysmenorrhea, although symptoms may lessen and eventually go away over ...
Does secondary dysmenorrhea affect fertility?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Secondary dysmenorrhea affects the body by causing pain and discomfort in the back and abdomen every...