Does dysmenorrhea affect fertility?

Dysmenorrhea refers to intense pain and cramping during menstruation. While dysmenorrhea does not affect fertility, it may be symptomatic of a fertility issue. Most women with dysmenorrhea have primary dysmenorrhea, which is caused by natural pelvic pain during menstruation. This type of dysmenorrhea is not associated with fertility. One in four women with dysmenorrhea, however, has secondary dysmenorrhea, which means the pain and cramping is due to an underlying gynecological cause. Some of these causes, such as pelvic inflammatory disease and ovarian cysts, may lead to infertility. If a few months have passed and over-the-counter medications and relaxation techniques have not resolved your symptoms, talk to your doctor to see if an underlying condition is responsible.

Continue Learning about Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)

What is the rate of incidence for dysmenorrhea?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
Rates of dysmenorrhea reported in scientific journals vary widely from between 16% to 91% of women w...
What increases my risk for dysmenorrhea?
Primary dysmenorrhea is painful periods with no underlying gynecological cause. Primary dysmenorrhea...
Why do I have such severe abdominal pain during my period?
Abdominal pain during your period could mean more than normal cramping -- it could be a sign of endo...
Is there a cure for dysmenorrhea?
Curing dysmenorrhea, or intense pain and cramps during menstruation, is dependent on its underlying ...