What causes otosclerosis?

Although it isn't fully known why people get otosclerosis, there are several factors that are known to be related to it. If one or both of your parents have otosclerosis, you have a greater chance of getting it. Having certain viral diseases, such as measles, may trigger otosclerosis. In addition, pregnancy hormones may make extra bone growth happen faster. This means that people who have otosclerosis and who are pregnant may notice more rapid changes to their hearing.

Continue Learning about Otosclerosis

Who gets otosclerosis?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Otosclerosis is usually first detected in the young adult years when the hearing loss first develops...
Is "Beethoven's Deafness" the same thing as otosclerosis?
There is controversy around the reason why Beethoven, a musician born in the 1700s, became deaf late...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with otosclerosis?
If the person does not have much hearing loss, you may not need to do anything. If hearing loss is i...
Did I get otosclerosis from repeated ear infections?
Although the cause of otosclerosis isn't fully known, you most likely did not get otosclerosis from ...