Why are osteoporotic fractures of the vertebra so problematic?

One in five women who break a vertebra of the spine will have another spinal fracture within the year, possibly leading to a fracture cascade that could leave them with a hump like Grandma. Not only does that make you look old, but vertebral fractures can lead to pneumonia and other causes of warranty shortening. Also, you can lose 5 to 7 inches in height following a series of vertebral fractures.

Remember, only one-third of people with vertebral fractures know it. So do the bone-saving strategies as if your independence depends on it—because it does.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Symptoms

Does a fracture from a simple fall mean I have osteoporosis?
A simple fall that results in a fracture is the most telling sign that you may have osteoporosis, sa...
What are the warning signs for osteoporosis in the back?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
While other back problems may have early warning signs, often osteoporosis is not detected until a f...
Should I talk to my doctor about my osteoporosis symptoms?
Symptoms for osteoporosis rarely present themselves until a bone is fractured or broken. Osteoporosi...
What bones does osteoporosis affect?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Osteoporosis affects all bones in the body. However, breaks are most common in the hip, wrist, and s...