Should I talk to my doctor about my osteoporosis symptoms?

Symptoms for osteoporosis rarely present themselves until a bone is fractured or broken. Osteoporosis is diagnosed with a bone density test. You may want to ask your doctor about a bone density test if you have several of the risk factors for osteoporosis. Age is an important risk factor: if you are female and over 65 years old or male and over 70 years old a bone density test may be in order. Other indications for a bone density test include if you are over 50 years old and had a broken bone or if you are female and have passed menopause. Finally, if you have taken medications that might increase your risk for osteoporosis you should ask about a bone density test. Such medications could include hormone treatments, anti-seizure drugs, prednisone, and others.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Symptoms

What bones does osteoporosis affect?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Osteoporosis affects all bones in the body. However, breaks are most common in the hip, wrist, and s...
How can I know if I have osteoporosis?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Osteoporosis has few symptoms in midlife. It is estimated that less than 10% of people who have ...
When can breaking your wrist be a good thing?
If someone falls and breaks her wrist instead of her hip, it can be a good thing, because it can ale...
Does a fracture from a simple fall mean I have osteoporosis?
A simple fall that results in a fracture is the most telling sign that you may have osteoporosis, sa...