Q

Osteoporosis Symptoms

Should I talk to my doctor about my osteoporosis symptoms?

• Symptoms for osteoporosis rarely present themselves until a bone is fractured or broken. Osteoporosis is diagnosed with a bone density test. You may want to ask your doctor about a bone density test if you have several of the risk factors for osteoporosis. Age is an important risk factor: if you are female and over 65 years old or male and over 70 years old a bone density test may be in order. Other indications for a bone density test include if you are over 50 years old and had a broken bone or if you are female and have passed menopause. Finally, if you have taken medications that might increase your risk for osteoporosis you should ask about a bone density test. Such medications could include hormone treatments, anti-seizure drugs, prednisone, and others.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What are the symptoms of osteoporosis?