How effective is soy in preventing osteoporosis?

There is some evidence that eating a diet high in soy may be beneficial in fighting osteoporosis and keeping bones strong. Soybeans are low in fat but high in protein and essential amino acids. Some research indicates soy foods relieve menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes, by acting as a natural hormone supplement. This is because the isoflavones in soy foods are converted in the body into plant compounds that mimic estrogen. Although they are a lot weaker than human estrogen, they are not linked in any way to cancer. Scientists do not agree how much soy protein is needed for bone health, although some studies say adding one serving a day of soybeans may increase bone strength. Other soy foods include miso, soy flour, tempeh, soy milk, soy granules, and tofu.
The Osteoporosis Cure: Reverse the Crippling Effects With New Treatments

Once considered a progressive, incurable disease, osteoporosis can be prevented and/or treated in both early and later stages thanks to recent breakthroughs and medical developments. Now a medical...
Toby Smithson

Many soyfoods contain calcium which is as well absorbed as the calcium from cow’s milk. Clinical studies are not conclusive that soyfoods can prevent osteoporosis so further studies are needed. Although, soyfoods can be used as a good source of calcium intake which does help reduce risk of osteoporosis. Check the nutrition facts label for the amount of calcium. If the nutrition label has 30% ((300 milligrams calcium) listed that amount is equivalent to the amount of calcium in a cup of cow’s milk.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Prevention

How can I decrease my risk of osteporosis when taking certain medications?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Some medications -- such as the cortisone-type drugs that make breathing easier for people with ...
How can I help prevent bone loss as an older adult?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
At 65 years or older, bone loss has tapered off for women. Estrogen deficiency is no longer the ...
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis
How Can I Reduce Bone-Mass Loss Without Taking Medication?