Does osteoporosis only affect women?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology

Although osteoporosis has been considered a women’s disease, especially affecting women over age 60, it affects men as well. In fact, it can affect people of any age. 

Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

What increases my risk for osteoporosis?
There are many risk factors for osteoporosis. There are some that do not have a clear mechanism for ...
Who is most at risk for developing osteoporosis?
More than 28 million Americans either have osteoporosis or are at risk of it, but the disease primar...
Can taking seizure medication increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Some medications used for seizures can increase the chance of osteoporosis. This risk can be red...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis