How do my age, gender, and hormones affect my risk of bone loss?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
After age 35 or later, our bodies lose bone mass faster than it is built. This happens in both genders but is more common at an earlier age in women. As a woman’s estrogen production declines around menopause, her rate of bone loss increases. Using estrogen-replacement therapy can greatly improve this. However, men also lose bone loss over time because their testosterone levels drop as they age, and because of other factors such as smoking, drinking, a diet low in calcium, and a lack of exercise. 
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

How can I learn my risk for osteoporosis?
Anaisys M. Ballesteros, DOAnaisys M. Ballesteros, DO
Your osteoporosis risk can be assessed with a simple and painless bone density test that measures th...
What are the risk factors for osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
It’s important to know your risk for osteoporosis. There are some risk factors you cannot change...
Can insufficient calcium intake increase my chances of osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis (bone loss) is a common cause of back pain with painful fractures of the vertebrae (and...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis