What should I know about caring for someone with osteonecrosis?

If you are caring for someone with osteonecrosis, you will need to be aware of their symptoms. You will also need to know which medications they are taking and when they need to take them. Make sure they follow any exercise or physical therapy prescribed to help with their range of motion. Often they will need to use support, like a cane or crutches, to take weight off the joint; make sure the home is free of clutter that might make moving this way difficult. Most people with osteonecrosis need surgery at some point, so be prepared to support them before and after the procedure. If you want to find out more about caring for someone with osteonecrosis, you can contact the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) and the National Osteonecrosis Foundation.

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

What is my risk for osteonecrosis if I take an oral bisphosphonate?
The American Dental Association has reported that the risk of developing osteonecrosis from taking o...
What is osteonecrosis of the jaw?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
In some patients who have taken bisphosphonates and denosumab (osteoporosis medication), a condi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my osteonecrosis symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if you have any concerns that you may be suffering from osteonecrosis...
How do medications treat osteonecrosis?
There are two types of medication prescribed for osteonecrosis. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug...