What is avascular necrosis of the lunate?

Avascular necrosis is caused by a previous acute injury to the wrist that may have gone untreated. This is when the lunate, which is one of eight carpal bones, loses blood supply for an extended period of time. This ultimately leads to tissue death in the bone. Symptoms of this condition include: noticeable loss of wrist extension, loss of wrist range of motion, decreased grip strength, and chronic pain on the back of the hand.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

What is my risk for osteonecrosis if I take an oral bisphosphonate?
The American Dental Association has reported that the risk of developing osteonecrosis from taking o...
How does osteonecrosis affect the body?
The reduced blood supply to the bones caused by osteonecrosis causes bone tissue to die. This often ...
How is avascular necrosis diagnosed?
Francisco J. Borja, MDFrancisco J. Borja, MD
To diagnose avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis), your doctor will examine your hip to assess motion, ...
What should I know about caring for someone with osteonecrosis?
If you are caring for someone with osteonecrosis, you will need to be aware of their symptoms. You w...