What is adult rickets?

Adult rickets, or osteomalacia, is a bone weakness caused by a vitamin D deficiency, much like the childhood disease rickets. Vitamin D regulates the levels of calcium and phosphorus in your bloodstream. If you do not get enough vitamin D from either the sun or food, or if you have an absorption problem, your body will begin to draw phosphate and calcium from the bones, making them soft and weak.

Continue Learning about Osteomalacia

Should I talk to my doctor about my osteomalacia symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about achiness in your bones as well as any changes in your muscle mass or your ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with osteomalacia?
If you are caring for someone with osteomalacia, be aware of their pain and symptoms. Achiness in th...
Can osteomalacia be prevented?
Osteomalacia caused by insufficient sunlight or vitamin D deficient diets can be prevented. To help ...
How does osteomalacia affect the body?
Osteomalacia causes the bones to become soft, which can lead to pain and bone deformity. Bones need ...