What is adult rickets?

Adult rickets, or osteomalacia, is a bone weakness caused by a vitamin D deficiency, much like the childhood disease rickets. Vitamin D regulates the levels of calcium and phosphorus in your bloodstream. If you do not get enough vitamin D from either the sun or food, or if you have an absorption problem, your body will begin to draw phosphate and calcium from the bones, making them soft and weak.

Continue Learning about Osteomalacia

Should I talk to my doctor about my osteomalacia symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about achiness in your bones as well as any changes in your muscle mass or your ...
How do medications treat osteomalacia?
Oral supplements or injections of vitamin D can help to restore proper levels of vitamin D in the bo...
What is osteomalacia?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Demineralization means that the bone has an abnormally low amount of mineral in it, especially calci...
What increases my risk of developing osteomalacia?
Lack of sunlight can increase your risk of developing osteomalacia because sunlight aids in vitamin ...