What do I need to know about caring for someone with osteomalacia?

If you are caring for someone with osteomalacia, be aware of their pain and symptoms. Achiness in the spine, legs, and pelvis is common, and touch to these areas can be painful. Weakness in the muscles may hinder their ability to move around. During treatment, they may need to spend more time in direct sunlight. Their doctor may also require them to take supplements or make changes to their diet to get more calcium and vitamin D.

Continue Learning about Osteomalacia

What increases my risk of developing osteomalacia?
Lack of sunlight can increase your risk of developing osteomalacia because sunlight aids in vitamin ...
Are there alternative treatments for osteomalacia?
To treat the vitamin D deficiency that leads to osteomalacia, your doctor may prescribe more time in...
What is adult rickets?
Adult rickets, or osteomalacia, is a bone weakness caused by a vitamin D deficiency, much like the c...
How does osteomalacia affect the body?
Osteomalacia causes the bones to become soft, which can lead to pain and bone deformity. Bones need ...