To help treat osteoarthritis in my knee, which muscles should I strengthen?

To help treat osteoarthritis of the knee, the level of muscle strength in the thigh muscle (quadriceps) and muscles around the hip is important. Strengthening these muscles can relieve symptoms and prevent more damage.

To keep osteoarthritis of the knee from interfering with your daily activities, maintain a light exercise regimen -- and stick to it faithfully. The amount and form of exercise you can do will depend on how stable your knee joint is and whether a joint replacement has already been done.

Ask your healthcare provider or physical therapist what exercises are best for you. Ask for guidelines on exercising when your knee is sore or if swelling is present.

Continue Learning about Osteoarthritis Treatment

Ease Knee Osteoarthritis Pain With These Alternative Remedies
Don’t get sidelined by pain from knee osteoarthritis. Integrative medicine expert Robin Miller, MD, explains how Eastern therapies—including acupunctu...
What possible problems should I expect after knee replacement surgery?
Most knee replacement operations go smoothly, but problems can come up. Blood clots may form aro...
Are there alternative treatments for osteoarthritis?
If you need medication to control the pain and other symptoms of osteoarthritis, your doctor will pr...
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?