Will having orthodontic cervical headgear hurt?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Cervical headgear as with other orthodontic appliances will usually produce some mild soreness of the teeth during the first few days of wearing. After the first few days the teeth and mouth will usually adapt to the appliance, and the pain and soreness will dissipate. Ibuprofen or any pain medication can be used during the first few days to help cope with any pain.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...
What is an orthodontist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontics is a dental specialty. It includes the diagnosis, prevention, interception, and correct...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...