What type of material are clear braces made of?

Clear braces are made of two different types of material. Clear brackets are made of clear ceramic or polycarbonate (a type of plastic). Sometimes these two substances are combined into one bracket. A flexible wire connects the brackets to each other. This wire is usually made of nickel and titanium. Clear plastic aligners, on the other hand, are made of acrylic, another type of plastic.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...
How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...