How long does getting Invisalign braces take?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Invisalign is an alternative appliance to braces. Most of the same initial records needed for braces like x-rays, photos, and impressions of your teeth are also needed for Invisalign. Once these records are taken, they must be submitted to Invisalign with instructions from your orthodontist on how to move your teeth. Invisalign will create a digital replica of your teeth with which your orthodontist can study and use the software to dictate where, and more importantly, how the teeth should be moving. This process, along with the manufacturing of the aligners usually takes about 4-6 weeks.

As far as how many months it will take to correctly align your teeth is determined by the complexity of the case. A simple case can be treated in as little as 3-4 months, and if it is very complex it can take 24-30 months. On average, most Invisalign cases take 12-16 months.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
There are two answers to this question. The process of getting your Invisalign aligners takes about a month from initial impressions until receiving the trays. After submitting your impressions, Invisalign must create digital models, you orthodontist must diagnose your problems and determine the treatment plan, and Invisalign must manufacture your aligners.

The second answer has to do with the length of treatment. How long does Invisalign take to straighten the teeth. That is determined by the complexity of your problem. I've see cases take anywhere from 6 to 24 months. The average is between 12 and 18 months.
Getting Invisalign braces will take a few visits to the dentist, to determine if the braces will work for your teeth and to take the necessary x-rays and teeth impressions to custom-design your braces. Once your braces are ready, you can expect to wear them daily for at least 20 hours a day from 12 to 18 months.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
The best way to know if you need braces is to have a consultation with an orthodontist. At your firs...
Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Yes, your primary dentist is still the best caretaker of your overall dental health. Your orthodonti...
Are braces affordable?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Affordable is a relative term, but most orthodontic offices will offer payment plans with no interes...
How do I floss if I have braces?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Flossing with braces can be difficult and time consuming, but it is important. The teeth must be flo...