How are Invisalign braces different than other braces?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Invisalign is the brand name of an orthodontic appliance. The appliance consists of a series of clear plastic trays that are worn all of the time except when eating or brushing. The trays are custom made from an impression that is taken of your teeth. Each individual tray is designed to move your teeth approximately .25 mm by placing a light force on each tooth. The length of the treatment will depend on how far you need to move the teeth in order to achieve the proper alignment. Your dentist or orthodontist will determine where and how your teeth should move and the trays will be made accordingly.

Regular braces are attached to your teeth and cannot be removed. These "fixed" appliances place a constant force on your teeth by placing a wire in the braces. The orthodontist determines how your teeth move by the position of the brace on the teeth and changes to the wire.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

The Invisalign system is not actually braces, but a series of clear aligners that sequentially move the teeth. The aligners are clear plastic shells that are manufactured so that each moves the crooked teeth just a little at a time. Aligners are worn full-time except during eating and brushing. Treatment time depends upon the severity of your condition.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How can early orthodontic treatment help my child's self-esteem?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Early, or Phase I, orthodontic treatment can help correct problems like severe crowding, teeth that ...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include: Braces. Some...
Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Age is usually not the major factor in planning orthodontic treatment, but of more importance is the...