What are the benefits of braces?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
One advantage of braces is that it creates a good bite, which helps with overall function of your mouth. In this video Dante Gonzales, DMD, talks about other ways braces can benefit your oral health.
Braces and orthodontic treatment are used to correct “bad bites,” or malocclusion (teeth that are crowded or crooked).

If you have an abnormal bite your dentist may recommend braces or another orthodontic treatment to straighten out your smile. Correcting the problem can create a nice-looking smile, but more importantly, orthodontic treatment results in a healthier mouth. Not correcting an abnormal bite could result in further oral health problems.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Braces can make your teeth look better, work better, and be easier to keep clean. In addition to these three benefits, you'll feel more confident about your smile and have a better self esteem. That will help you in all areas of your life.
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier to clean, hence better periodontal health. Studies also show stable occlusion and less probability with TMJ disorder in patients with straighter teeth. 
Orthodontic braces have many benefits. In a relatively short time period, braces can move misaligned teeth. Aligning teeth can fix your bite and create a more healthy, attractive smile. This can improve your self-confidence.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...
Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Age is usually not the major factor in planning orthodontic treatment, but of more importance is the...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
How do I floss if I have braces?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Flossing with braces can be difficult and time consuming, but it is important. The teeth must be flo...