What are the benefits of braces?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
One advantage of braces is that it creates a good bite, which helps with overall function of your mouth. In this video Dante Gonzales, DMD, talks about other ways braces can benefit your oral health.
Braces and orthodontic treatment are used to correct “bad bites,” or malocclusion (teeth that are crowded or crooked).

If you have an abnormal bite your dentist may recommend braces or another orthodontic treatment to straighten out your smile. Correcting the problem can create a nice-looking smile, but more importantly, orthodontic treatment results in a healthier mouth. Not correcting an abnormal bite could result in further oral health problems.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Braces can make your teeth look better, work better, and be easier to keep clean. In addition to these three benefits, you'll feel more confident about your smile and have a better self esteem. That will help you in all areas of your life.
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier to clean, hence better periodontal health. Studies also show stable occlusion and less probability with TMJ disorder in patients with straighter teeth. 
Orthodontic braces have many benefits. In a relatively short time period, braces can move misaligned teeth. Aligning teeth can fix your bite and create a more healthy, attractive smile. This can improve your self-confidence.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Orthodontics is the specialty in dentistry that is involved in aligning the teeth in a proper relati...
Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have an abnormal bite your dentist may recommend braces or another orthodontic treatment to s...
How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...