Herpes simplex type 1, the virus that causes oral herpes, is very contagious. In fact, about half the people in the U.S. will catch the virus before they are 20. In order to prevent catching the virus, do not kiss or share personal items with anyone who has a cold sore.
- Q What activities can trigger a cold sore to develop?
- Q Should I talk to my doctor about my oral herpes symptoms?
- Q What increases my risk for oral herpes?
- Q Are cold sores contagious?
- Q How many people have herpes simplex virus 1?
- Q Can oral herpes be transmitted to my baby?