Herpes simplex type 1, the virus that causes oral herpes, is very contagious. In fact, about half the people in the U.S. will catch the virus before they are 20. In order to prevent catching the virus, do not kiss or share personal items with anyone who has a cold sore.
- Q Is oral herpes contagious?
- Q How might a child get a cold sore?
- Q If I have cold sores, does that protect me from genital herpes?
- Q Can oral herpes spread to other parts of the body?
- Q Should I talk to my doctor about my oral herpes symptoms?
- Q If I have a cold sore, how long is it contagious?