How are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs used for the treatment of RA?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

NSAIDs, such as aspirin, have been used for many years to treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Their main purpose is to relieve symptoms, such as joint pain and swelling. They do not slow the disease or prevent joint damage, and are not a substitute for DMARDs or biologics. Common NSAIDs include ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn), and celecoxib (Celebrex).

NSAIDs can have serious digestive side effects, so they are usually taken for only 1 to 2 weeks. People who take them longer, especially older adults, usually take another drug to protect their stomach. Celecoxib (Celebrex) is a special NSAID that is less likely to harm the digestive system. It is sometimes given to people who can't take other NSAIDs. But it is also recommended only for short-term use. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What is the difference between Zymaxid and other eye drops?
Zymaxid is a prescription antibiotic eye drop. It is only used to treat bacterial eye infections, su...
What should I know before taking tetrahydrozoline eye drops?
Tetrahydrolozine is intended for people with red, sore, irritated or dry eyes. If your eyes are irri...
What should I know before taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs?
If you take an NSAID, you should be cautious about drinking alcohol. The risk of side effects of NS...
Should I use Patanol if I already take allergy medication?
The active ingredient in Patanol, olopatadine, is an antihistamine. When your body is exposed to an ...