Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?

Travis M. Hendry, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals). It can also be tempting to keep unused pain pills for future use. Yet there are important reasons to protect your medication and dispose of it when you're finished:
  • Opioid pain medication can be very dangerous if taken when it was not prescribed. It should not be used for sleep, coughs, or anything that it wasn't prescribed to treat. (NEVER share pain medication with anyone, not even family.)
  • If you store unused pills, they can tempt others. In fact, one in five teens reports misusing someone else's prescription drugs. Many get the pills from friends or relatives by raiding the medicine cabinet. Teen use of pain medication can lead to other drug abuse, including heroin addiction.
  • Unused medication can make you a target for robbery. If thieves find out you have opioid pain medication, they can break into your home looking for pills.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
What are opioid medications?
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...