When can I stop taking Opana?

You can stop taking the pain medication Opana (oxymorphone) when you and your doctor decide you no longer need it to relieve your discomfort, but don't quit taking it abruptly. Talk to your doctor, who will help you taper off the drug gradually. This is necessary because your body can become dependent on Opana so that you could experience unpleasant withdrawal symptoms if you stop suddenly.

If you feel that Opana has stopped working for you, tell your doctor. Rather than having you stop taking it, he or she may decide that you need a different dose and will adjust your prescription accordingly.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...