When should I call my doctor if I am taking Ultram?

If you are taking Ultram (tramadol), a prescription medication for moderate to moderately severe pain, you should call your doctor if you experience certain side effects that could be serious or fatal. In particular, you or someone who is with you should seek emergency medical attention if you have any symptoms of an overdose, such as the following:

• difficult or slowed breathing
  • extreme drowsiness
  • stupor (a lowered level of consciousness)
  • coma
  • loose, floppy muscles
  • cold, clammy skin
  • constricted pupils
  • signs of a heart attack

You should also call your doctor right away if you have any symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, such as:

• hives
  • difficulty breathing
  • swelling of your face, mouth, throat or tongue
In addition, you should call your doctor if any of these side effects are severe or don't go away:
  • nausea
  • dizziness
  • headache
  • constipation
  • difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
  • weakness
  • vomiting, diarrhea, heartburn or indigestion
  • sleepiness, drowsiness
  • nervousness, agitation, changes in mood
  • uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body, muscle tightness
  • itching, sweating, chills, dry mouth
  You should call your doctor right away if you become pregnant while taking Ultram.

If you want or need to start a new medicine or supplement while taking Ultram, talk with your doctor first. Certain medications and supplements may interact with Ultram and cause serious side effects.

If you want to stop taking Ultram, call your doctor. Stopping the drug suddenly may cause withdrawal symptoms.

Finally, you should call your doctor if your dose of Ultram is not helping relieve your moderate to moderately severe pain or if you find you have to take it more than four times a day. Your doctor may need to adjust your dose of Ultram or your other pain medicine.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What are opioid medications?
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...