What should I know about Butrans before taking it?

Before taking Butrans (buprenorphine), a weekly patch for the relief of moderate to severe chronic pain, you should know why you are taking it, how to use it, what side effects to expect, when to call your doctor and what activities are safe while you're on it. Butrans is a synthetic opiate, a powerful painkiller that is delivered in metered amounts through your skin over seven days.

Before taking Butrans, tell your doctor if you:
  • have ever had a brain tumor
  • have ever experienced drug abuse or addiction
  • have had a head injury
  • have a lung disease such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
  • have had an allergic reaction to any medicine
  • are pregnant or are trying to get pregnant
  • are breastfeeding
Make sure your doctor knows about every drug, prescription or over-the-counter, that you are taking. In particular, let your doctor know if you have taken isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine or selegiline in the last two weeks. You should also tell him or her how much alcohol you drink.

Your doctor or health professional will show you how to apply the patch and how to safely dispose of it when it is time for a new one.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...