What is Nucynta?

Nucynta, the brand name for tapentadol, is a prescription narcotic pain reliever. Nucynta is used to treat moderate to severe pain that is expected to last for a short time. It is in a class of medications called opiate (narcotic) analgesics. It works by changing the way the body responds to pain. Nucynta can become habit-forming if you take it for an extended period.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...