Is there a generic version of Actiq?

The generic version of Actiq is fentanyl. It's a powerful medication prescribed to treat breakthrough pain in cancer patients who are already being treated with opiates for pain. Actiq is a lozenge on a stick (somewhat like a lollipop) that is held between the cheek and gum and dissolves through the mucus membranes in the mouth, providing quick pain relief. Actiq is available both as the brand-name drug and as generic equivalents.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...