What should I know about Opana before taking it?

Before taking Opana, you should know that breaking, crushing, dissolving, chewing, or otherwise consuming the tablet in any way other than whole may result in the release of a fatal dose of oxymorphone. Combining Opana with any form of alcohol may also have this effect. Opana should be taken one hour or more before eating and two hours or more after.

Opana is a controlled substance that may lead to addiction or misuse if intake is not monitored properly, so a doctor will always regulate your use and dosage. Beware of the medications and foods that interact with this drug, as serious side effects can result. Your doctor will also need to know in advance if you have the following medical issues, as they can be complicated by Opana: seizures; brain tumors; history of addiction; heart, kidney, liver, intestinal, or lung disease; breathing issues; any allergies; or head injury, or if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...