If I am pregnant, is it safe to use MS Contin?

Women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant should tell their doctors before taking MS Contin (morphine), a narcotic medication used to treat moderate to severe chronic pain. MS Contin has not been formally studied in pregnant women, but in animal studies, it has caused abnormalities in developing fetuses.

In addition, a baby born to a woman who was physically dependent on MS Contin during pregnancy may experience withdrawal symptoms because the morphine in the drug can be habit-forming for a fetus as well its mother. This happens because while in the womb, the baby received morphine through the placenta, but after birth, his exposure to the drug stops abruptly. A baby going through withdrawal from MS Contin may be irritable, have a high-pitched cry and trouble sleeping and may vomit and fail to gain weight. Some babies who have been exposed to MS Contin in the womb also may have trouble breathing. Infants going through withdrawal will be watched closely and may be given medication to relieve symptoms.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...